Paving the Way: GCPS Special Education Internship Program Leads to Full-Time Teaching Position
GCPS Special Education Internship
There are more than 20,000 students with disabilities enrolled at Gwinnett County Public Schools. The need for more teachers to meet the demand is great. Therefore, there are numerous opportunities for people who are interested in pursuing a career in special education.
An incredible way for college students to get involved is through a GCPS special education internship. The internship offers experience and insight that is impossible to gain in a college setting. Also, GCPS takes great pride in its modern approach of fusing technology with creative, flexible teaching methods to improve outcomes. Interns will be learning from one of the most forward-thinking and highly respected special education programs in the Southeast.
Here are some of the highlights of a GCPS special education internship:
- Observe master teacher and other special education classrooms
- Reinforce learning by applying new knowledge
- Weekly webinars designed to share experiences with other interns
- Enrichment classes (i.e., behavior management, compliance, special ed essentials)
- Lasts six weeks, sometimes longer, depending on your needs
- Generous stipend at the conclusion of the internship with a signed contract for a special education position
Most important, this is an opportunity to encourage and inspire students by helping them overcome challenges and develop their abilities. GCPS offers special education students many areas of specialization to maximize results for both our teachers and students.
Our areas of specialization include:
- Emotional behavior disorders
- Specific learning disabilities
- Intellectual disabilities
- Orthopedically impaired
- Visually impaired
- Hearing impaired
- Speech-language impairments
- Developmentally delayed
If you are interested in pursuing a career in special education, our dynamic internship program is an incredible step toward that pathway. Click to apply for a Special Education Internship at GCPS.
* This program is for college juniors or seniors majoring in education or special education, or those currently in a Master’s of Education Program and interested in teaching special education.